This is my first attempt at a blog. I hope you will join this discussion and share thoughts about Schmoker's book, Focus. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!! I found it to be very refreshing and it has given me a new perspective on how to simplify things and on how we should move forward with curriculum.
I've just finished chapter 3 and I'm hooked. I've often thought the hardest part of my job has been pushing aside a lot of what Schmoker refers to as the "clutter." If today's k-12 standards would really take the average student a k-22 education to master, we have to stop ignoring the obvious and figure out how to create a meaningful core curriculum.
I think Schmoker's ideas of refining what we teach and how we teach it could be a defining moment in how we go forth, not just with the Reading Task Force, but in how we arm our students with powerful tools- ones that could be applied on any test, in any college classroom, or on any job.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!! I found it to be very refreshing and it has given me a new perspective on how to simplify things and on how we should move forward with curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI've just finished chapter 3 and I'm hooked. I've often thought the hardest part of my job has been pushing aside a lot of what Schmoker refers to as the "clutter." If today's k-12 standards would really take the average student a k-22 education to master, we have to stop ignoring the obvious and figure out how to create a meaningful core curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI think Schmoker's ideas of refining what we teach and how we teach it could be a defining moment in how we go forth, not just with the Reading Task Force, but in how we arm our students with powerful tools- ones that could be applied on any test, in any college classroom, or on any job.